Sunday, May 28, 2006

20 More Songs

This was inspired by Susannah's response to Amy's aforementioned post. Twenty more songs, these from my iTunes off my PC, set to shuffle, like the other...

  1. Angry Samoans, "Gas Chamber" -- good Caliband. Epitomized Punk attitude and brattiness -- not my favorite of theirs, but nice to see them represented;
  2. M.I.A., "Tell Me Why" -- one of Las Vegas's only hardcore bands; a good, very 80s sound to their stuff; they were a proficient band, now almost totally forgotten, their name eclipsed by that pop diva of the same name;
  3. Articles of Faith, "Acceptance" -- another song by them? Heh. Chicagoans, notable for their three-guitar attack, which was rare for Punk bands;
  4. Ted Nugent, "Wango Tango" -- hahah! There's an iSkeleton! Nugent was never too subtle in his lyrical themes; I think you can guess what that song's about;
  5. Bikini Kill, "Rebel Girl" -- I had a crush on Kathleen Hanna, and liked Bikini Kill's sound more often than not;
  6. The Doors, "Crawling King Snake" -- bluesy bravado, Doors-style; I like the Doors, even when Morrison's getting all drunk/drugged-out poetic and all of that. Also, I can pass for young Ray Manzarek when I grow my sideburns out long, and can do a good vocal impression of Morrison when I sing -- he's right in my range (no, I'm not singing for you!);
  7. Jimi Hendrix, "Little Wing" -- pretty song, soft and sensitive; Hendrix was amazing;
  8. Les Fleur de Lys, "I've Been Trying" -- they were a solid 60s band with a terrible name; my favorite song by them is "Hold On" (fantastic -- the version with the woman singing it is tops) and "Mud In Your Eye" (great freakbeat tune);
  9. the Ramones, "Cretin Hop" -- nothing I can say about them that hasn't been said more often by better folks; it's a fun song, I like it;
  10. Elliott Smith, "A Distorted Reality is Now a Necessity to Be Free" -- pretty, haunting song that makes me think of Beatles tunes; Smith was really something else -- his songs always touch me, make me sad that he killed himself;
  11. Roxy Music, "Prairie Rose" -- I love Roxy Music, especially their earliest stuff, when Brian Eno was still with them -- just trippy and glam-sleazy-punky-cool;
  12. Iggy Pop, "Candy" (with Kate Pierson) -- a pretty song, always comes into my mind because of a character I have in a story by that name;
  13. Big Star, "September Gurls" -- wow, what luck! My absolute favorite Big Star tune! Pretty, dreamy, wistful -- Big Star were awesome;
  14. the Belairs, "Mr. Moto" -- I'm a sucker for surf guitar, what can I say?
  15. Modest Mouse, "Ocean Breathes Sally" -- not sure if these guys are one-trick ponies or what, but I like what they did on their "Good News..." album;
  16. Mission of Burma, "Academy Fight Song" -- a lot of people say they like this song best of theirs; I actually like "Red" more, but this is a good tune, showcases a lot of what this underappreciated band brought to the stage;
  17. Placebo, "20th Century Boy" -- a cover of the T. Rex tune; you probably remember this one from the car commercial with everybody grooving to it; great feel-good glam song;
  18. Guns n' Roses, "Don't Cry" -- GNR were briefly great, before Axl's ego and the endless drugs and alcohol burned them out, made them a joke -- this was one of their last gasps;
  19. Dead Kennedys, "Kill the Poor" -- one of my faves of theirs, full of snarling satire and fast tempos and lots of Jello's attitude -- when I was a teen, I thought they were just so scary a band, and usually liked bands that made me scared, figuring they were onto something;
  20. Soft Cell, "Loving You, Hating Me" -- hahah! That might as well be a theme song of mine.

1 comment:

Daibh said...

Nicely put! Eno rocks. Ferry's smooth. It's all so very great!