Wednesday, February 21, 2007

40 Things

I'm going through meme-withdrawal, so I'll post a lame one, just to get me a step nearer to the magic 300, when I mothball this blog and migrate to my main one.

40 things

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?

Had my pet euthanized.

2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Hmm. I kinda didn't do any resolutions, or if I did, I forgot'em.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My half sister had another child.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Jinx, my cat. February 9th. Poor kitty.

5. What countries did you visit?

I've only visited Canada, and that was in 1989 (although I did kayak into Canada in 1999, but didn't set foot on land)! I'm way, way behind on the world-traveling thing. I want to, but need the time and money for it.

6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?

Book deal!

7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory?

No dates come to mind. I'm terrible at remembering dates.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Getting a short story accepted by a magazine at the beginning of 2006.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Not finding another job!

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Hmmm. Nothing chronic. Oh, wait -- I totally wiped out rollerblading last year and fragged my left calf. I still have a scar from that injury, which went from my ankle to my knee. I'll probably have that scar the rest of my life.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Best thing I bought...probably the memory card for my digital camera! 175 pictures can now be saved on that stinker! That's great!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Mine. I was very industrious last year.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Mine. I was also terribly undisciplined.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Rent. God, how I hate paying rent.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

A book I wrote in November. That really pumped me up.

16. What song/album will always remind you of 2006?

Elliott Smith, "Don't Go Down"

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

Happier or sadder? Happier!
Thinner or fatter? Thinner!
Richer or poorer? Richer!

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Gosh, I dunno. I'm not big on regret.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Less brooding, perhaps.

20. How will you be spending Easter?

Eating a dark chocolate bunny's head.

21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?

You know, I so rarely use the phone, anymore, except to talk to my parents, so I guess it's them, by default. I much more frequently e-mail.

22. Did you fall in love in 2006?

Yes!

23. How many one night stands in this last year?

None!

24. What was your favorite TV program?

In 2006? "Invasion" -- that was a great show, which was why it got cancelled, of course.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Lame as it sounds, I don't waste time on hate. There are people I don't like, sure, but I mostly just deprive them of the joy of knowing me, versus actually hating them, you know?

26. What was the best book(s) you read?

God, I don't even remember. I don't think I read a whole book in 2006! Before you think I'm the Antichrist, let me explain: as an editor, I read every day, almost all day. Not for fun, of course. Anyway, it sort of makes pleasure reading a rarer thing. Ironic, eh?

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?

New bands? Hmmm. Interfuse were pretty good.
Old bands? The Victims (US).

28. What did you want and get?

I never get what I want! Seriously, anything I ask for, I never get. It's like a curse of some sort. I could ask for socks and never get them!

29. What did you want and not get?

Everything!

30. What were your favorite films of this year?

It's been forever since I've seen a movie on the big screen. I really liked the unrated version of "The Descent" -- thought it was a good horror movie.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 36 last year; I didn't do anything special. Birthday kinda sucked, really.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Book deal!! Book deal!

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?

Classical Menswear with a neo-psychedelic twist.

34. What kept you sane?

My madness kept me sane! Knowledge of your own insanity protects you from it. The truly crazy think that they're sane.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Currently? I'm so terrible about thinking of one on the spot. I know them when I see them. Man, I need to think about it some.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?

Last year? Probably those jackasses leaving New Orleans to drown. That was terrible, unforgiveable. I visited New Orleans in 1997, and hate that government negligence and incompetence destroyed that beautiful place.

37. Who did you miss?

My best friend!

38. Who was the best new person you met?

Ash, for sure. She's the best!

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.

Don't waste time on regret. Just live in the now, and get things done.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?

"I met a girl snowball in Hell
She was hard and as cracked as the Liberty Bell
And I got her to
Come and move in with me
And I said I'll find a better place
Where we can spend eternity" (Elliott Smith, "Don't Go Down")

No comments: