Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Hey...

Does anybody still read this blog? There have to be a few lurkers out there, right? Not that it's been very interesting at the moment, I'll admit.

My cat, Jinx, is dying. I think she'll be dead either today, tonight, or tomorrow. She's old -- she's over 15 years old, and has lost most of her weight, won't eat or drink, and is definitely close to her end. She was a great cat, definitely my cat -- I was her favorite person by far; she hated most everybody else, but liked me. My older son said "she needs some new stripey legs; we can get a doctor to get her new legs." He's such a sweetie, my little engineer.

Anyway, I cried last night, combed and petted her; I didn't want to take her off to a place, where she'd be surrounded by strange things and strangers. Instead, I put a soft towel and a water dish near one of our radiators, and carried her there to sleep, so she'd at least be comfortable and warm. I've never had a pet before, never had to deal with the death of one. Makes me sad -- seeing her be so feline-stoic, keeping a brave face on her sickness, was just heartbreaking to me. Would that we could all die with such grace.

Her brother, Newt, is still strong and in good health; he's got a few more years in him, by the look of him.

Anyway, it'll be soon. I'll try to take a good picture of her to post, once she dies.

2 comments:

Daibh said...

Hey, Romina -- thanks for your thoughtful, kind words, and for sharing. Jinx's likely to die today or tonight. She managed to purr wearily at me while I combed and petted her last night, but wouldn't drink any water or take any food. It won't be long.

I love dogs; I'd die if I had to watch one die, and dogs don't age well, sadly.

Jinx enjoyed good health for 14 of her 15 years; the last couple of months of 2006, she just nosedived.

Daibh said...

Me, too. She's still alive; she purred for me weakly when I got home and combed her. Poor kitty.