Thursday, October 05, 2006

Puddin'head Jones

I had my own chain of bad luck recently, revolving around an American Express card...

1) Post Office failed to deliver a credit card statement (that's the second time that's happened -- not for that card, but another one, along with car insurance -- gotta love the USPS in Chicagoland);

2) Wifey had recently rung up a big bill on the missing American Express card (I only use it when we go to Costco);

3) Though we share an account, our cards have slightly different numbers, which is kind of a safeguard, I guess, but adds to confusion, namely;

4) While checking the balance, she paid it over the phone, and asked me to check the balance on my card, to be sure we were squared with Amex -- so, I checked, and the numbers didn't balance, which freaked Wifey out (and, by extension, me);

5) I took my card out of my wallet and kept it in a basket on our kitchen counter, to deal with later, to reconcile the account;

6) Turned out that everything was fine -- there was just lag-time between their online record and the phone record;

7) When I went to put my card back in my wallet, I found it GONE -- I had to leave home without it;

8) I've looked everywhere, and can't find the damned card -- my operating theory is that my older son might've seen it in the basket and snatched it to play with or something. When I asked him about it, he said he hadn't seen it -- I combed through his room and through our apartment, but no dice;

9) So, because of the initial confusion caused by the USPS's failure to deliver our statement, I managed to actually lose my Amex card -- I have no clue where it is!

I'm going to call them this weekend, have them send me a replacement card -- hopefully that won't cause still more confusion. Grrrr.

No comments: