Saturday, May 13, 2006

Britpop

I'm in the mood for music and video. Let's make it a block of Britpop...

The Stone Roses, "Fools Gold"

The Stone Roses, "I Wanna Be Adored"

They were huge, right on the cusp, and they blew it. One of the all-time best debut albums, and then they flamed out.

Oasis, "Supersonic"

Blur, "Parklife"

I don't know where I come down on the Oasis/Blur thing. Blur has some great songs, but they're also really uneven, in my opinion. Oasis were consistent and solid and had a more steady sound, but I dunno.

Pulp, "Lipgloss"

Pulp, "Babies"

Jarvis Cocker had a great style to him -- a sort of reptilian charm.

Sleeper, "Inbetweener"

Lush, "For Love"

Huge crush on Lush's Miki Berenyi (pictured above). Exotically beautiful woman.

Elastica, "Stutter"

Elastica, "Waking Up" (live)

I had a huge crush on Donna Matthews (the redhead in the video). Purloined riffs and all, Elastica still made good songs; their debut was really solid, through and through. Heroin did them in in the worst way.

Suede, "Metal Mickey"

2 comments:

Daibh said...

Heh -- I read the other week that natural blondes will be extinct in 100-200 years, at current rates. Redheads don't stand a chance, except as the gleefully odd mutation that they are. Perhaps that's what the redheads are counting on!

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»