Thursday, May 11, 2006

Growl

My laptop died (or lapsed into a coma) on my commute to work this morning. I don't know what happened (the battery was fine), but I couldn't revive it. And I was in the middle of writing a story, between saves, even. How infuriating. I'm usually pathological about saving files on any laptop, just in case, but this crash caught me offguard. Oh, well. I'll check it out when I get home, see what, if anything, I can do. Only maybe 300 words lost/in limbo, so it could be worse.

I'm more worried about remembering whether I successfully migrated all my stories on that laptop onto my PC at home. I think I was good about that a year or so ago, but I'm sometimes unaccountably disorganized in those matters, so I'm not 100% certain.

The Book 2 snippet I posted awhile ago is an example of that -- when I got a new Dell PC to replace the old IBM Aptiva I'd had, I did a massive file migration, including (what I thought) was Book 2, but it turned out, somehow, that I didn't transfer that one, so I only have that in hard copy (thank heavens I at least took the time to print it out, or then I'd really have blown a gasket). Anyway, I've had to transcribe that one from the hard copy into the new PC, which is fine, because it ends up being another draft on the sly, rather than just a word-for-word transcription. But still, it's an annoyance.

It's rainy and yucky in Chicago today. Not cold, fortunately, but definitely BLAH weather. I'm sure Amy can relate, since she's apparently a Chicagoan, too.

3 comments:

Daibh said...

Nothing wrong with raining kisses.

Ruth said...

My laptop died at exactly the same time. I can sympathize. I was at Office Depot at 7 AM to get a replacement so I could get everything transferred over before the work day started (I work from home)... no fun at all... Hope your week is going much better now! S

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»