Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Second Longest Day

So, tomorrow's the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year. Which makes today and the day after tomorrow the second-longest days of the year. Today feels long, the whole day did -- a long and melancholy day.

Outside, I see twin plumes of salmon-colored smog on the horizon, running parallel to each other, looming over the lake. And I see a white yacht, a tourist transport, by the size of it, catching the pink of the setting sun. The lake looked like quicksilver, but only for a moment, before it settled into gray. Lazy clouds linger higher, and the air is cool and there's the slightest of breezes, not even enough to stir the trees.

I miss my friends.

(per Maddy's suggestion, I'll "poetize" it)...

Second Longest Day

So, tomorrow's
the Summer Solstice,
the longest day
of the year.

Which makes today
and the day
after tomorrow

the second-longest days
of the year.
Today feels long,
the whole day did --
a long and melancholy day.

Outside, I see
twin plumes of
salmon-colored smog
on the horizon, running
parallel to each other, looming
over the lake. And I see
a white yacht,
a tourist transport,
by the size of it,
catching the pink
of the setting sun.

The lake looked like quicksilver,
but only for a moment,
before it settled into gray.
Lazy clouds linger higher,
and the air is cool
and there's the
slightest of breezes,

not even enough
to stir the trees.

I miss my friends.

1 comment:

Daibh said...

Thanks, Maddy! Maybe I'll play around with the lines, see what turns up.