Thursday, June 22, 2006

Second Second-Longest Day

Today seems like a day for Suede. I can't explain why. I'm listening to the song, "So Young" off of their debut. I like the richly decadent beauty of their stuff -- it's its own thing. I like listening to it, makes me feel young and Oscar Wilde at heart!

Not a good day for wearing suede, though, with rain coming on and off again. I want to get some ivory suede bucs, because that would look good with my work slacks (usually gray, tan, or beige). Haven't gotten around to it, yet.

I used to have Clark's desert boots, wore them to death as a young guy, didn't take good care of them, just wore'em out. Now I see that the ostensibly British shoes are made in Estonia, and I picked up a pair and turned them in my hands and found them to be cheaply made, but not cheaply priced -- way too much for the crappy quality. Disappointed me, made me wish I'd managed to rehab and save my desert boots from long ago, when they were still of good quality.

Music: Suede, "Animal Nitrate"

Saw cottonwood plumes floating in restive winds today, beneath storm-fattened skies -- otherworldly, really, pretty and mesmeric, the white plumes standing starkly against the background of darkening green.

Music: Suede, "She's Not Dead"

The above song brings tears to my eyes more often than not. It's so beautifully forlorn...

She's Not Dead
Suede

she'll come to her end locked in a car somewhere with exhaust in her hair
What's she called? I dunno, she's fucking with a slip of a man while the engine ran

And he said "She's not dead, she's gone away, gone away" he said
He said "She's not dead, just go away go away" he said

In the car he couldn't afford they found his made-up name on her ankle chain
so don't call, don't call her at home
she's fucking with a slip of a man while the engine ran

and he said "she's not dead, she's gone away gone away" he said
he said "she's not dead, she's gone away gone away"
he said "just gone away, gone away" he said
she's gone away to someone else's bed


Makes me think of her, flown far away from me, forever and ever, amen. I like the decadent, syrupy Britpop and the trippy shoegazing as well as I like the rocky things. And then something feisty, for my spirit never stays down for long...

Music: Suede, "Moving"

Yeah. That's the stuff -- somehow the singer's squawk-yelps make it all the more entertaining to me.

Music: Suede, "Pantomime Horse"

Back to the beautiful melancholy. Such a great debut album. I'll just groove to the rest of it, I think. Nah, I'll skip ahead...

Music: Suede, "Metal Mickey"

No comments: