Sunday, April 30, 2006

Blooming

Took this (R) at the Conservatory in Lincoln Park. Those flowers had very deep bells, and I didn't quite capture the intensity of their purple with my little camera. Those flowers were large, larger than a kiwifruit, perhaps the size of large Roma tomatoes.

They've got a Spring Flowers exhibit there right now, and had a lot of pretty plants blooming, filling the Conservatory with wonderful scents and beautiful colors.

Nice place to go, since it's been so rainy and gloomy these past few days.

There was a wedding party in one of the wings of the Conservatory, getting their pictures taken amid all the flowers.
I didn't have enough shots on my digital camera to capture all the flowers that I wanted, but I figure I'll go back soon and take some more pictures.

Here's a shot of the Koi (L) in the Koi pond which is at or near the Orchid Room -- I can't quite remember, since it was all so dazzling. They were busy looking for food, in their typically fishy way. Of course, we're not allowed to feed them, but that doesn't prevent them from trying to get people's attention, anyway!

There were some amazing orchids in the Orchid Room, but it was hard to get them to really look good in pictures -- not because of the flowers themselves, but because of the setup in the room, like the background and what-not.

I like the Conservatory. It's a pleasant little sanctuary. I wish it was larger, although if it was, they'd probably have to charge admission for it. They need more benches, too, where you can simply sit and bask in the beauty, instead of clumsily crouching where you can find a spot to drink it all in. Of course, there's so much foot traffic there that you can't get too much peace or solitude, but every now and then you find a nook where you can, and it's nice.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Must go to the conservatory. I haven't yet gone!

boho girl said...

such gorgeous flowers and fishies!

i went to comment on your self portrait today but it had vanished. so i will say it here:
thank you for being so brave. i know you mentioned you don't like doing such things. you have a handsome face and kind, soulful eyes.

i LOVED seeing the kitty in the background. we have two kitties. a man with a cat speaks volumes of sensitivity, you know!! ;)

Daibh said...

Heh -- I wasn't sure if you had seen it or not; I reposted it again (for now, so you and Amy can see). Sometimes I save things as drafts when I want to keep them but not post them.

Thanks, BG!